Immigration Attorney In Dallas, Texas

Immigration procedures are complex and very tedious. There are two categories of people who reside in this country who are not deemed to be Amercans by the United States Citizen and Immigration Services (otherwise known as USCIS). The two categories are: 1) legal permanent residents, otherwise known as green card holders and 2) non immigrants. Then, there are people who are here illegally, which will not be mentioned here. Lawful Permanent Residents (green card holders) can usually get a greed card through family relationships with U.S. citizens or legal permanent residents, sponsored by employers, have extraordinary abilities or talent (like professional baseball players. Also, executives qualify under this category as well), or who has enough money to invest over a million dollars. In other words, this country will give lawful permanent residents to people who are either rich, has special extraordinary skills, of can perform work that Americans cannot do, and then the based on family relationships to the U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident here. Of course, President Trump is trying to limit the granting of lawful permanent residency based on family relationships. (Currently American citizens can petition their parents, children, and their spouses to come to this country and be granted status as lawful permanent residents. However, President Trump is trying to limit the family based immigration to just the spouse and children.). Once someone is granted a lawful permanent resident status (green card), they can eventually apply to become a U.s. citizen. Nonimmigrant visas on the other hand will never be able to apply to become a U.S. citizen. Nonimmigrant visas are usually for tourists or temporary workers, or for people who will set up or purchase a business here and hire U.S. workers. An example is an E-2 visa.

  • E-2:
  • An E-2, Treaty Investor, visa is available to someone who is a citizen or national of a treaty country and who wishes to enter the United States solely to develop and direct the operation of an enterprise in which he or she has invested or is in the process of investing a substantial amount of capital. In return United States government will grant the applicant and its immediate family members a nonimmigrant visa allowing them to stay in the country indefinitely as long as the business conditions are maintained.

    To qualify for the E-2 Visa:

  • To qualify for the E-2 visa, the US enterprise must be majority owned by nationals of certain countries, such as Jordan, South Korea, and many other countries, having a bilateral investment treaty with the US
  • Go to the state department website to see which countries are E2 countries
  • The investor must have established (or be establishing) an active business through investment. The business could be just about any business, including grocery stores, donut shops, or restaurants or many other kinds of business
  • The investment must be substantial. For a new business, the amount invested must be such as would normally be considered to establish a viable enterprise of the type contemplated. For an existing business, it must be proportional to the total value of the particular enterprise. There is no required amount for investment (generally $100,000 or more is preferred). The amount of permitted capital invested that comes from loans is limited as the funds must be considered "at risk."
  • The investment must create jobs for employees legal to work in the US
  • The person seeking the E2 investor visa must have a substantial role in the company (officer, manager, etc.). If applying as an investor, he or she must control at least 50% of the enterprise.
  • Visa Extension :

    Extending their current visa status

  • Apply for U.S. citizenship status :

    Apply for U.S. citizenship status

  • Adjustment of status :

    Apply for U.S. citizenship status